Here are a list of events that occurred over 40 days from the resurrection of Jesus Christ to His ascension back to the Father.
The morning of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ
1. An angel rolled away the stone from Jesus’ tomb before sunrise (Matt. 28:2–4).
2. Women who followed Jesus visited Jesus’ tomb and discovered Him missing (Matt. 28:1; Mark 16:1–4; Luke 24:1–3; John 20:1).
3. Mary Magdalene left to tell Peter and John (John 20:1–2).
4. The other women, remaining at the tomb, saw two angels who told them about the Resurrection (Matt. 28:5–7; Mark 16:5–7; Luke 24:4–8).
5. Peter and John visited Jesus’ tomb (Luke 24:12; John 20:3–10).
6. Mary Magdalene returned to the tomb and Jesus appeared to her alone in the garden (Mark 16:9–11; John 20:11–18): His first appearance.
7. Jesus appeared to the other women (Mary, mother of James, Salome, and Joanna) (Matt. 28:8–10): His second appearance.
8. Those who guarded Jesus’ tomb reported to the religious rulers how the angel rolled away the stone. They were then bribed (Matt. 28:11–15).
9. Jesus appeared to Peter (1 Cor. 15:5): His third appearance.
10. Jesus appeared to two men on the road to Emmaus (Mark 16:12–13; Luke 24:13–32): His fourth appearance.
11. The two disciples from Emmaus told others they saw Jesus (Luke 24:33–35).
12. Jesus appeared to 10 apostles, with Thomas absent, in the Upper Room (Luke 24:36–43; John 20:19–25): His fifth appearance.
THE FOLLOWING SUNDAY
A Week After the Resurrection of Jesus Christ
13. Jesus appeared to the 11 Apostles, including Thomas, and Thomas believed (John 20:26–28): His sixth appearance.
THE FOLLOWING 32 DAYS
14. Jesus appeared to seven disciples by the Sea of Galilee and performed a miracle of fish (John 21:1–14): His seventh appearance.
15. Jesus appeared to 500 (including the Eleven) at a mountain in Galilee (Matt. 28:16–20; Mark 16:15–18; 1 Cor. 15:6): His eighth appearance.
16. Jesus appeared to His half-brother James (1 Cor. 15:7): His ninth appearance.
17. At Jerusalem Jesus appeared again to His disciples (Luke 24:44–49; Acts 1:3–8): His tenth appearance.
18. On the Mount of Olives Jesus ascended into heaven while the disciples watched (Mark 16:19–20; Luke 24:50–53; Acts 1:9–12).
Louis A. Barbieri Jr., “Matthew,” in The Bible Knowledge Commentary: An Exposition of the Scriptures, ed. J. F. Walvoord and R. B. Zuck, vol. 2 (Wheaton, IL: Victor Books, 1985), 91.
Our Gospel of Matthew verse by verse series can be found here: Sermons