Son of Man
A term used 88x in the NT of the messiah.
- 1 John 4:2 – By this you know the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is of God,
- God the Son, born in a manger, intentionally lowered Himself putting on human flesh, no place to lay His head, associated with sinners, acquainted with sorrow and grief, suffered shame and punishment at the hands of evil men. There is no greater picture of humility.
- Philippians 2:6-8 – 6 who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, 7 but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, [and] coming in the likeness of men. 8 And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to [the point of] death, even the death of the cross.
- Ezekiel was called “son of man” meaning he is human. Jesus is THE Son of Man. All God intended for mankind; Jesus exemplifies.
- Colossians 2:9 – For in Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily;
- Matthew 9:6 – 6 But that you may know that the Son of Man has power on earth to forgive sins”—then He said to the paralytic, “Arise, take up your bed, and go to your house.”
- Mark 2:28 – The Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath
- Mark 9:9 – 9 Now as they came down from the mountain, He commanded them that they should tell no one the things they had seen, till the Son of Man had risen from the dead.
- John 5:27 – 27 and has given Him authority to execute judgment also, because He is the Son of Man.
- Matthew 26:64 – 64 Jesus said to him, “It is as you said. Nevertheless, I say to you, hereafter you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Power, and coming on the clouds of heaven.” – TRIAL ENDER – He’s a blasphemer.
Jesus’ Fulfillment of Prophecy
- Daniel was given a vision of glory, worship, and an everlasting kingdom given to the Messiah—referred to here as the “Son of Man”. Jesus applied this prophecy to Himself in Matthew 26.
- Daniel 7:13-14 – 13 “I was watching in the night visions, And behold, [One] like the Son of Man, Coming with the clouds of heaven! He came to the Ancient of Days, And they brought Him near before Him. 14 Then to Him was given dominion and glory and a kingdom, That all peoples, nations, and languages should serve Him. His dominion [is] an everlasting dominion, Which shall not pass away, And His kingdom [the one] Which shall not be destroyed.
- Matthew 13:41 – The Son of Man will send out His angels, and they will gather out of His kingdom all things that offend, and those who practice lawlessness,
- Matthew 16:28 – 28 Assuredly, I say to you, there are some standing here who shall not taste death till they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom.”
- Psalm 8:4-6 – 4 What is man that You are mindful of him, And the son of man that You visit him? 5 For You have made him a little lower than the angels, And You have crowned him with glory and honor. 6 You have made him to have dominion over the works of Your hands; You have put all [things] under his feet,